Turkey’s media blackout ends after ‘incident’

The Washington Post article Istanbul, Turkey — Turkish media on Friday released a statement from the Ministry of Information, broadcasting that authorities in Istanbul had shut down all social media and blocked all online news sites, citing an incident in which a man allegedly tried to detonate a device in a market in Istanbul.

The statement, which was posted on the ministry’s Twitter account, said a man was arrested after police found a homemade explosive device in the market in the central Anatolian city of Adana on July 16.

The ministry said the arrest and detention of the suspect led to an investigation into the suspected plot.

In a statement released by the ministry, the interior minister said the person arrested “did not know that the explosion was to be detonated by an explosive device.

The person’s actions did not serve any legal purpose, and it is unclear whether they will be tried in the national court or the Turkish national court.”

The statement said the suspect was arrested on July 18 in the vicinity of the market, where he was arrested “on suspicion of involvement in the plot.”

The ministry did not immediately provide further details.

The incident in Adana, in the southeastern Anatolians capital of Antalya, raised concerns in Turkey over the safety of social media platforms and online news outlets.

It also sparked widespread outrage among Turks, who accuse the government of targeting their media outlets for political purposes.

The latest incident comes after a series of bomb attacks last month that claimed more than 140 lives.

The Ankara attacks were claimed by the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which has waged a nearly two-decade-long insurgency in Turkey.

The government says the attacks were carried out by an Islamic State affiliate.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said the government had no intention of shutting down social media.